Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) - Safety Information for Schools
LACOE Emergency Survival Program (ESP)
ESP Earthquake: Fact or Fiction
ESP Focus: Earthquakes
ESP Family Steps to Survival
PLAY IT SAFE!
KNOW YOUR SON'S/DAUGHTER'S SCHOOL DISASTER PLAN
Q - Does the school have a disaster plan?
A- Yes. It is the Standardized Incident Management System (SIMS) and National Emergency Management System (NIMS), which is an emergency response process required by the Homeland Security Presidential Directive. This directive ensures a consistent nationwide approach for all governmental agencies to work together with a common, recognizable plan that is standardized for all. These plans are located on the school's website and are sent home in the school newsletter each year. Copies of these plans are available at each site, upon request.
Q - What immediate actions are taken by the school when an earthquake occurs?
A - Teacher will:
1) Implement DROP, COVER, HOLD
2) Follow the Emergency Action Plan, by taking the roll book and Emergency Backpack and escort the class, (when safe), to a pre-designated evacuation route Emergency Assembly Area posted at the classroom door
3) Take roll, and send accountability report with runner to the Command Post
The emergency response team will:
1) Set up a Command Post and First Aid Station
2) Deploy the Search and Rescue Team
3) Establish a Student Reunion/ Release Gate
Q - How will students be cared for in your absence?
A - Each school has disaster bins that are stocked with food, water, first aid supplies and emergency response equipment. In addition, depending on the severity of the event, many of our sites will be designated as Red Cross Centers, with all of their support and professional services.
Q - How will parents be reunited with their sons/daughters?
A - Students will be released to their parents or an authorized adult, listed on the student's Emergency Card, at the school's Student Release Station. Parents or their designated representative will be asked to present identification before the student is released to him/her.
Q - How will parents get an updated status report on the conditions of their son's/daughter's school?
A - Parents will receive a telephone "Connect Message" with updated conditions and school plans.
- Local radio station, KHTS, AM, 1220, will have updated information on our local schools, as well as other vital conditions throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.
- When possible, each school website will report pertinent information.