District Departments » Student Services » Intra District Transfers: 2023 - 2024

Intra District Transfers: 2023 - 2024

Intra District Transfers (IDT) 

An intra district transfer is when parents/guardians wish to enroll their student at a school other than the designated school that is in their attendance area within the district. To request an intra district transfer, you must reside within the attendance boundaries for the schools of the William S. Hart Union High School District. If you reside outside of the Santa Clarita Valley, please click on the button to the right for more information on how to request a transfer.

Before requesting a transfer for the upcoming school year, please carefully review the information on this page.

Important Dates
Please be advised of the following dates for requesting an intra district transfer:
  • The window to request an intradistrict transfer for the upcoming 2023-2024 school year will open on February 15, 2023. This webpage will be updated with the link to request a transfer on this date. 
  • Intradistrict transfer requests will not be processed between June 15, 2023 through July 6, 2023 to allow staff with time off for summer break. During this period, you will be able to request a transfer but staff will not process your request until July 7, 2023.
  • The last day to request a transfer for the 2023-2024 school year will be Friday, August 4, 2023.
Criteria for Requesting an IDT
The list below consists of the criteria for which a school transfer can be requested. 
    • Documented harassment or victimization at your child's neighborhood school. Documentation must be within Infinite Campus, our District's Student Information System.

    • Sibling Rule
      • Sibling is currently attending and will remain enrolled at the requested school. 
      • Siblings will attend high school together at some point in the future. Please note that the older sibling establishes the grounds for transferring under the sibling rule. Therefore, the younger sibling can only follow the older sibling.
      •  If the younger sibling does not attend high school together with the older sibling at any point in the future, the sibling rule does not apply. For example, if the younger student is a 7th grader and the older student is an 11th grader, since both siblings will not attend high school together, the sibling rule is not applicable.

    • Parent is a permanent William S. Hart Union High School District Employee

    • Active Military Families (Documentation will be required.)

    • Student is a Foster Youth (Court documentation will be required.)

What if my transfer request does not meet the criteria above?

If the reason for your transfer request is not listed above, your transfer request will not be processed. If you have additional factors that you would like to have considered, please contact the principal at your child's home school to further discuss your reason(s) for seeking a school transfer.

Can I appeal the principal's decision?

The principal's decision is final and cannot be appealed. Students in the William S. Hart Union High School District are expected to attend their school of residence based on our attendance boundaries. The pre-established criteria for transfers between school are outlined above. Transfer requests beyond these criteria are at the sole discretion of the principal. 

Students living in Castaic
If your student resides in Castaic, you will need to begin your transfer request with the Castaic Union School District. If your student is released by the Castaic Union School District and is accepted by the William S. Hart Union High School District for enrollment into either 7th or 8th grade, your child will attend Castaic High School for grades 9 through 12 unless a sibling is a current student at one of our high schools when your student starts in the 9th grade. 
Five Points Valencia
Rancho Pico Junior High School (grades 7 and 8) and West Ranch High School (grades 9 through 12) will serve the new home projects currently under construction. Families who are within 60 days of closing escrow on a home in Five Points may directly enroll at Rancho Pico Junior High School or West Ranch High School as long as you reside in the Santa Clarita Valley. No transfer paperwork is required other than a copy of your escrow documents.
For families who reside outside of the Santa Clarita Valley, you will need to secure a release from your local school District and then submit that release along with a copy of your escrow documents to Student Services at [email protected]. Once we have reviewed your documents and approved your transfer permit, you will be contacted with next steps for enrollment.
What If My Child has an IEP?
The William S. Hart Union High School District offers the following regionalized programs:
  • Special Day Class - Functional Academics
  • Special Day Class -  Students with Emotional and Behavioral Needs
  • Special Day Class - Living Skills
  • Special Day Class -  Autism High Functioning
Your child's elementary or junior high school will coordinate a time to schedule a matriculation IEP meeting in the spring. For students who require the support of a regionalized program, your student's school placement will be determined at the time of the matriculation IEP and the appropriate paperwork will be completed at that time.
For students who qualify for Special Day Class Core Curriculum or our Resource Program, all comprehensive Hart District campuses offer these programs and requests for transfers are limited to our pre-established criteria.
Open Enrollment Schools
Open enrollment schools allow a student who resides in the attendance boundaries of the William S. Hart Union High School District to attend that school without a transfer request. For the 2023/2024, Castaic High School (grades 9-12), will be the only school offering open enrollment.
How do I request an Open Enrollment transfer?
You will work directly with Castaic High School to process your open enrollment transfer request. For more information, please click here
Requesting an Intra District Transfer: Step 1
The first step in requesting an intra district transfer is to complete a request form, linked below. You will receive an email within 5 to 10 business days after your form submission with next steps for completing your transfer applications. Transfer requests that do not meet our pre-established criteria will not be processed.
Intradistrict request form (English), please click HERE.
Formulario de solicitud dentro del distrito (Español), por favor haga clic AQUI.