8th Grade Transition to High School
High School planning starts NOW!
During the spring semester, you will be receiving information regarding academic programs, athletics, and extra-curricular opportunities available to your child in high school. And while the transition from 8th grade to high school can bring with it a mix of emotions, we are committed to ensuring the process is smooth for you and your family. Each one of our high schools offer multiple opportunities for students to learn more about the options that await them in high school. The key to success is for your child to get involved and stay connected!
What school will my child attend for high school?
With the exception of Castaic residents, your child will automatically transfer from their current junior high school to the feed high school for 9th grade without any action on your part:
- If your child is at Arroyo Seco Junior High, your child will attend Saugus High School
- If your child is at La Mesa Junior High, your child will attend Golden Valley High School
- If your child is at Placerita Junior High, your child will attend Hart High School
- If your child is at Rancho Pico Junior High, your child will attend West Ranch High School
- If your child is at Rio Norte Junior High, your child will attend Valencia High School
- If your child is at Sierra Vista Junior High, your child will attend Canyon High School
- If your child resides in a different high school boundary than the one they are assigned to based on their junior high school AND prefers to attend the school of residence, please notify the registrar at your current junior high school. You do not need to complete an IDT form.
- For students in grade 8 that live in Castaic, your high school placement will be Castaic High School unless you meet one of our pre-established criteria for transfer.
What If My Child has an IEP?
The William S. Hart Union High School District offers the following regionalized programs:
- Special Day Class - Functional Academics
- Special Day Class - Students with Emotional and Behavioral Needs
- Special Day Class - Living Skills
- Special Day Class - Autism High Functioning
For current District students, your child's case carrier will schedule a matriculation IEP during the spring. For students who require the support of a regionalized program, your student's school placement will be determined at the time of the matriculation IEP and the appropriate paperwork will be completed at that time. For students who are new to the Santa Clarita Valley, please contact our Special Education Department at (661) 250 - 0033, extension 377.
For students who qualify for Special Day Class Core Curriculum or our Resource Program, all comprehensive Hart District campuses offer these programs and requests for transfers are limited to our pre-established criteria.