STEPS TO OBTAIN A WORK PERMIT
Please be sure you have completed the following steps prior to applying for a work permit:
STEP 1: Secure Employment
Students need to secure a job before obtaining a work permit.
STEP 2: Download the Work Permit Application
STEP 3: Complete the Work Permit Application:
- Students are to complete the sections “Minor’s Information” and “School Information.”
- Employers are to complete the section “For Employer to Complete” then print and sign their name.
- Parents/guardians are required to sign the form for knowledge and consent.
STEP 4: Request Work Permit
When requesting the work permit, the student must present a government issued identification card that shows the birth date (examples: driver's license, birth certificate, or passport). Additionally, the student is required to sign the work permit upon issuance.
** Notes for Hart District Students:
When school is in session, Hart District students submit completed STATEMENT OF INTENT TO EMPLOY A MINOR AND REQUEST FOR A WORK PERMIT – CERTIFICATE OF AGE to the administration office at their school sites. The form must be signed by the employer and a parent/guardian.
When school sites are closed, alternative work permit issuing arrangements can be found on this website.
** Notes for Private and Charter School Students:
Private and charter school students submit completed work permit application to the administration office at their school sites.
** Notes for Homeschool Students:
Home school students residing in Santa Clarita Valley requiring a work permit must schedule an appointment with the Hart District Office by emailing email@example.com.
Home school students need a verification of enrollment/attendance letter from their school and proof of date of birth (Driver License, Birth Certificate, Baptismal Certificate, California Identification Card, or Passport. Student I.D. is NOT acceptable.) to apply for a “regular” permit.
Contact the Registrar at your school regarding Applications for Permission to Work in the Entertainment Industry. These forms are not completed at the District Office location.
- Applications for permission to work in ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY need to be signed by the SCHOOL REGISTRAR at the school attended in Spring 2019.
- Private school students do not need verification of enrollment and attendance during summer months.
- Students need to secure a job before obtaining a work permit.
- High school graduates who are still 17 do not need a work permit.