Miscellaneous » Enrollment » Enrollment


How to enroll your child in a Hart District school

Determine the assigned Hart District school
Enroll at the assigned school
  • Call the school for registrar’s hours.
  • A parent/guardian/caregiver must be present to enroll a minor child.
  • District requests birth certificate, withdrawal grades, immunization record, transcript, and current IEP, and any other relevant documentation be provided during enrollment.
  • Proof of Residency is required. The following documentation is required to establish residency:
Determination and Proof of Residency
In the State of California, when enrolling a child in public school, the parent/legal guardian/ caregiver must provide current proof of residency within the school district boundaries.

Government Code 244 defines a residence as: "the place where one remains when not working....and to which one returns for sleep". It also states, "There can only be one primary place of residence declared for the student."

Evidence of residency for a pupil living with his or her parent/legal guardian/ caregiver shall be established by current documentation showing the name and address of the responsible adult within the school district. Effective January 1, 2012, recent legislation (AB 207) has added the following to the California Education Code, Section 48204.1, which states that any one of the following documents will be accepted:
  1. Property tax payment receipts.
  2. Proof of escrow closing within 45 days of requested date of enrollment.
  3. Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts.
  4. Utility service contract, statement or payment receipts.
  5. Pay stubs.
  6. Voter registration.
  7. Correspondence from a government agency.
  8. A stack of recent business mail forwarded to the current address.
  9. Written Declaration of Residency executed by the responsible adult enrolling the child per regulations of Assembly Bill 207. Home visits will be conducted to verify residency. Per California Penal Code Section 126, misrepresentation on the Declaration of Residency is considered perjury and is punishable by imprisonment or fine pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
Once the residency requirement has been met, your child's enrollment may proceed. Please be aware that unannounced home visits can be conducted to verify residency. If it is determined that the information provided upon enrollment is not valid, continued enrollment may be affected.

Upon enrollment, students must present a copy of up-to-date immunizations against diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and hepatitis B. Students coming from out of the state or country are required to have the varicella (chicken pox) immunization or verified proof that they have had chicken pox. All incoming seventh graders must provide proof that they have met the Tdap requirement before starting school.

Immunization services may be provided by any doctor or clinic or at:
Samuel Dixon Mobile Health Clinic – (661) 284-6135
Samuel Dixon Family Health Center – Canyon Country – (661) 424-1220
Samuel Dixon Family Health Center – Val Verde – (661) 257-4008

After all paperwork has been processed, the school will set up an appointment with a counselor to schedule classes.

For Concurrent Enrollment, please visit College of the Canyons Admissions and Records page for High School Students via https://www.canyons.edu/studentservices/admissions/students/highschool.php